Monday, August 25, 2014

First Day of Classes at the University of Arizona

Another semester, another test of willpower, another test of kick ass and chew bubble gum.

Getting back into the morning grind wasn't that bad: waking up at 7 AM, making sure I'm out the door by 7:30 AM. Getting out of the driveway and onto the highway, making it to the exit for the University in less than ten minutes. But, then the headache began.

I could feel my eyebrow twitching.

The major street leading up to the University was under construction. What the hell? Don't they realize that this is likely the busiest day of the year for traffic on this road?  And some stupid idiots decided to bring the road (Speedway) to one lane (down from two) for 4/5 of the way to the University? Someone clearly fucked up.

Finally, after 45 minutes to go about 5 miles, I get to the parking garage. Good thing I left early.

This year is the U of A has the largest incoming Freshmen class in its history. And holy shit it showed. Even having a early class, there were still lots of people and lots of idiots not knowing what the hell they were doing. Walking to my first class was like dodging slow moving groups of cattle as they herded themselves to their pens.

I was pretty relieved to get to my first class and find that the auditorium was much nicer than I expected. And most importantly nice and cool. It helped detox the stress out of my system from walking there (which by the way is a mile from where I park my car).

First class will be pretty boring as it's a math class I had taken last year (nearly made it half way through the semester) before I had to medically withdraw. But that's a different story. The professor recognized me and asked how I was doing, which was nice to be remembered. I guess I left a good impression before I had to go.

Once the class ended I began my trek to my next class. Hmm, more like jumping into a horde of morons moving in what I can only describe as zombies. As they moved so slow, wanted to stop and talk to everyone and everything, and didn't even seem like they were awake or were already high as a kite.

Oh, and one very important thing.

Note to students: stop fucking looking at your god damn cell phones all the time! I swear I had 4-5 people run head on into me because they weren't paying attention, and saw many more do the same, due to their eyes and brains being glued to the small screen in their hands. If you need to do look at your phone, kindly move over towards the wall or out of the way. Oh, and DON'T ABRUPTLY STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOD DAMN SIDEWALK! You don't have brake lights on your ass.

Ugh, okay now that I have that out of my system, lets move on.

My second class is unfortunately 10 minutes after my first ends, and is located almost where I go park my car. Needless to say it's going to take a couple weeks to regain my skills of dodging and weaving through the packs of zombies to get there on time, as well as increase my speed.

Oh, and thanks Tucson for putting/installing the new cable street cars on the already (and previously) most busy road on campus. I love it when they block the entire pedestrian/bike crosswalks and you aren't permitted or have no room to walk by them. So you have to walk down to another crosswalk just to get by in a timely manner, even if it's way out of your way. Oh, and I also love seeing ten or less people inside the damn thing each time I've seen it.

All right so I make it to my second class literally as the professor is starting. But, it wasn't the professor, it was the TA for the class. Now, he's a cool guy and knows his stuff, but it's kind of insulting to know that your actual professor won't be there for a week or more, and expects us to keep up, with the TA trying his best, with the material. Anyways, been here in this class before as well.

After the class we had a "lab" or recitation section for the same class directly afterwards. So we walk across the street to the Engineering building and go into the computer lab. I notice the room is filling rather quickly and find a spot to sit as fast as I can.

Turns out we didn't have enough seats for about 15 people, so they had to go "borrow" some from other places. Also, the projector in the room didn't work (face palm) and the dry erase boards were so low that most of us could only see the top 1/3rd of the board, and the microphone in the room wasn't working. I felt bad for the TA, it wasn't his fault, and I could tell he was panicking and getting frustrated with things not working as they should.

So we get through the recitation, mostly with me browsing the internet because I couldn't see or hardly hear (over the noise of all the computers) what was going on.

Now enters the "long" part of my day. After this recitation (and on Wednesday a lab at the same time), I have from Noon to 3 PM where I don't have anything to do. So I grabbed something to eat from the place with the shortest line (still took 20 minutes), and, after eating, retreated back to the super secret student and faculty lounge in the engineering building that no one seems to know is there. Only a few people came in for the next two hours or so I tried to take a nap.

Then it was on to the third class. The one that will likely be the most difficult as it involves a lot of manipulation of circuits. I won't get into the gory details, but it's a very high level (or low level depending on how you look at it) class that involves understanding how each component of a circuit functions and why it functions in the manner it does, as well as being able to read circuit diagrams like a book. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable and came in wearing a Hell's Angels shirt LOL!

So at 4 PM or so I made it back to my car and drove home. 30 minutes later I was home taking my shoes off and crashed on my bed.

"This semester is gonna be a bitch."