Monday, August 18, 2014

Worrying About Anxiety

One of my greatest enemies is my anxiety. It has effected my entire life, and I am constantly battling it everyday. When I am faced with anxiety, I immediately begin to rationalize it. To not sound too egotistical, I am very good at rationalizing and thinking scenarios through. It's why I am studying to be an engineer.

However, there is something I cannot control. In fact, it's likely the cause of all worry and anxiety I experience and many others. Our bodies react based upon our experiences and how we are biologically made. We cannot change that. We can supplement medications to try and suppress our body's reactions. But we are wired to do them, it's how we are. Our bodies change and adapt to all situations.

In fact, the ability for our bodies to adapt is a wonderful gift. For example, people who have lost limbs, or have had cancer, or even strokes, the body will find a way to adapt. We cannot direct it, it does so on its own.

We will always be faced with anxiety and worry. It's part of what makes us human. What we can do is help realize that it's a natural process within us all. Instead of looking away and trying to hide from it, face it head on! It's always going to be there, and the amount it does varies by person. Some have more, some have less.

Remember this quote, as it has helped me face my anxieties many times:

"Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything. All it does is mess with your mind and steal your happiness."

Meaning, do not worry about having your anxieties, it's a pointless battle that you will never win. Instead, you must embrace it and realize it's one of the defining pieces of yourself.

Get out there and do things before you are ready. Do things before you know you can do them. Do things that you are afraid of and remove yourself from your comfort zone. Take risks in life, for we only live once. And guess what? You may actually be really good at it and find something special about yourself.

If you're not good at it, who cares? You tried, you faced your anxiety, you did something you thought you couldn't do. And now you know something about yourself that you didn't before. And you have shown that even with your anxiety you can accomplish anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment